Social Media Statistics Australia – March 2018 | Tech News
Over the long weekend in Australia we all have more time off to relax and enjoy the easter festivities – leading to a slight increase in general social media activities across most networks.
Readers please note: On the 1st of every month we post a new social media report, the below report is not our latest figures. Please see here the most up to date report.
Social Media users in Australia are some of the most prolific in the world, with a total of around 60% of the country’s population an active user on Facebook, and 50% of the country logging in at least once a day.
Social Media Statistics Australia – March 2018
1. Facebook – 15,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users (steady)
2. YouTube – 15,000,000 Unique Australian Visitors per month (UAVs)
3. Instagram – 9,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users (FB/ Instagram data)
4. WordPress.com – 5,800,000
5. WhatsApp – 5,000,000 Active Australian Users
6. LinkedIn – 4,300,000 Monthly Active Australian Users approx
7. Snapchat – 4,000,000 DAILY Active Australian Users (Snapchat data)
8. Tumblr – 3,800,000
9. Twitter – 3,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users approx
10. Tinder – 3,000,000 Australian users (my estimation)
11. TripAdvisor – 2,800,000
12. WeChat – 2,750,000 Monthly Active Australian Users approx – (my estimation)
13. Yelp – 1,500,000
14. Blogspot- 1,300,000
15. Flickr – 480,000
16. Pinterest – 290,000
17. Reddit – 110,000
18. MySpace – 75,000
19. RenRen – 70,000 Monthly Active Australian Users approx – (my estimation)
20. Google Plus – 55,000 Monthly active Australian users approx – (my estimation)
21. StumbleUpon – 39,000
22. Weibo – 30,000 Monthly Active Australian Users approx – (my estimation)
23. Foursquare/Swarm – 10,000
24. Digg – 10,000
25. Periscope – 9,000
26. Delicious – 7,000
Stats Source: Vivid Social – Social Media Agency.
(All figures represent the number of Unique Australian Visitors [UAVs] to that website over the monthly period – unless otherwise stated above. Facebook Data includes users of desktop, mobile, application and messenger services).
Australian Facebook Users As A Percentage Of The Total Population
According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics Population Clock there are approximately 24.6 million Australians.
Facebook’s recent data shows there are now 15 million active Australians on Facebook. Therefore approximately 60% of the total Australian population is an active Facebook user. This is a huge number.
Facebook Demographics in Australia
Age Bracket Number of Users*
13 – 17 940,000
18 – 25 3,500,000
25 – 39 6,100,000
40 – 55 4,100,000
55 – 64 1,600,000
Penetration of the Australian Population
- 6 in 10 Australians use Facebook
- 1 in 2 Australians use Facebook on a daily basis
- 1 in 2 Australians use YouTube
- 1 in 3 Australians use Instagram
- 1 in 6 Australians use Snapchat
Global Stats of Interest
- Facebook Monthly Active Users (Worldwide) – 2.01 billion
- Facebook Daily Active Users (Worldwide) – 1.23 billion
- Instagram Monthly Active Users (Worldwide) – 600 million
- LinkedIn Registered Users (Worldwide) – 467 million
- Snapchat Daily Active Users (Worldwide) – 161 million
Key Points to Note:
- Approx 50% of the Australian population logs into Facebook on a daily basis.
- WhatsApp has close to 5 million active users in Australia
- A significant proportion of the Chinese community in Australia use Chinese social media tools like WeChat, RenRen and Weibo and these networks are growing.
- LinkedIn now reports there are 8 million registered users in Australia, according to our research – just over half of this number log in every month.
Contribute data – Do you have any of your own research from your work or social media agency than can help us with our Australian stats? Feel free to contact us and share your information. Otherwise feel free to leave a comment below and if suitable we will include this data in our reports.
Latest statistics – every month we post a new report with the latest statistics in Australia, view our archive to find the most up to date information.
Want to source our stats/ copy and paste them onto your website? Our work is licensed under Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0.
You are welcome to copy and paste our data, just include the following text and links at the start or end of your article:
Statistics compiled by SocialMediaNews.com.au for March 2018. Source: Vivid Social – Social Media Agency. Figures correct as of 31/03/18.