6 Browser Extensions to Enable Dark Mode on the Websites You Visit | Tips & Tricks
The Internet is mostly bright and light which can sometimes put strain on your eyes if you spend hours browsing. Fortunately, there are a few people who understand the pain and have developed some extensions that can help you enable dark mode in your browsers.
In this week's roundup we have six extensions from our Software Discovery section that help you darken the websites you visit in your browser. It makes reading those websites much more comfortable and puts less strain on your eyes.
1. Chrome in the dark
Chrome in the dark attempts to convert pages to darker versions to be more eye-friendly in a dark environment. It does so by reversing colors on the given webpage.
- Dark mode
- Reverse colors
- Darken screen
- Configurable options
2. Dark Reader
Dark Reader creates dark themes for every website. The extension doesn't just invert colors of websites you visit but uses an intellectual way for color transformation.
- Enable dark mode on any website
- Brightness and contrast controls
- Sepia filter adjustments
- Font settings
- Ignore list
- Hotkeys support
3. Quora Dark Mode
Quora Dark Mode Chrome extension lets you enable dark mode in Quora, making it easy to read.
- Enables dark mode on Quora website
- Improves readability
Mata is a Chrome extension that makes reading the web easy on your eyes. It does so by enabling the night mode in the browser.
- Makes webpages reader-friendly.
- Enables night mode.
5. High Contrast
High Contrast lets you browse the web with your choice of several high-contrast color filters designed to make it easier to read text.
When you install this extension, all pages are “inverted,” so black becomes white and white becomes black. Press the “browser action” icon in the toolbar to toggle it on and off, or customize your settings on a per-site basis. Use a convenient keyboard shortcut to quickly change your settings while you browse.
- Invert colors
- One click to turn on and off
- Customize on a per-site basis
- Convenient keyboard shortcut
6. Turn Off the Lights
Turn Off the Lights is a lightweight and useful add-on designed for a more comfortable watching experience.
While watching a video on any of the supported websites, you can click on the lamp icon, and everything will fade to dark except for the video you're watching.
- Single-click to enable and disable
- Works for all known video sites such as YouTube, Vimeo, Dailymotion, Hulu, Metacafe, YouKu, etc.
- Customize your YouTube experience with various settings
- Auto wide
- Custom colors
- Option to Flash Detection
- Option to Show Dimness Level Bar
- Option Eye Protection for when it's night and with whitelist/blacklist filter
- Option of atmosphere lighting that shows a glow around the video player
- Option to show the dark layer on top of the window
With the help of these extensions you should be able to transform your favorite websites into being darker, so you can read them without any issues. If you like these extensions, we have plenty of other useful extensions for you to check out in our Software Discovery section. Do let us know what you think about our software section in the comments below.