9 Battery-Saving Hacks for Festival Season – Tips| Tech Hacks
We’re well into summer 2018 and festival season is in full swing across Ireland. But here’s the dilemma – you’re looking to take a video of the headline act, locate your friends among the sea of fellow festival revellers, or find out how to get home when it’s all over, but your phone battery is almost dead. The sense of ‘battery panic’ is real as your charge ebbs away over the course of the day and can distract from the experience.
Sony Xperia has shared nine battery saving hacks that will help your smartphone charge survive festival season. Sony Xperia smartphones do come equipped with built-in features that help you conserve your charge for longer but, it’s always useful to have additional tips and tricks to help conserve your battery for as long as possible:
1) Disable location-sharing services: You’re unlikely to want to use a maps app or hail a cab online if you’re on a campsite, so this is a sure-fire way to help you save battery.
2) Limit your connectivity: Turn off Bluetooth® and turn on airplane mode at times when you know you and your friends are all grouped together and won’t be needing to access the internet. Perhaps turn on airplane mode when you record your favourite artists’ performance, then turn it back off when you want to post the footage and images to social media.
3) Activate STAMINA mode: Depending on your device and Android version, you’ll have either STAMINA mode or Battery Saver. This reduces battery consumption and increases standby time. STAMINA mode disables background activities and limits your Home screen to your most important apps.
4) Update your apps before you go: New updates come with fixes and features that help keep your apps ticking along… and consuming less battery.
5) Turn off Wi-Fi: If you’re on 4G, don’t send your phone roaming for the nearest Wi-Fi connection.
6) Choose your apps wisely: You probably won’t need a takeaway app while you’re at the festival, and you might want to avoid your health and exercise apps while you’re racking up lots of steps walking between stages. Switch off data usage for the apps you won’t need.
7) Check which apps are costing you battery charge: Go into your settings, tap Battery and then Advanced to see a list of which apps are draining your battery the most. Limit your usage of these apps and your battery life will improve.
8) Lower your screen brightness: In bright sunlight, you might need your screen brightness turned all the way up, but when you’re in your tent it’s a good idea to switch it as low as you can while still being able to read comfortably.
9) Don’t be always-on: It’s tempting to keep up with the news, read your emails, check your social media and watch the latest videos from your favourite YouTube channels… but then are you really at the festival? Switch off your notifications to save battery, checking your apps when you want to rather than when you’re prompted.