Microsoft releases new Windows 10 preview with Snip & Sketch
Microsoft today released a new Windows 10 preview with improvements to Snip & Sketch. The update bumps Windows 10 from build 18845 (made available to testers on February 28) to build 18850. These builds are from the 20H1 branch, which represents the Windows 10 update that will arrive in the first half of next year.
Windows 10 is being developed as a service, meaning it receives new features on a regular basis. Microsoft has released six major updates so far: November Update, Anniversary Update, Creators Update, Fall Creators Update, April 2018 Update, and October 2018 Update.
This build is for Windows Insiders who have chosen the Skip Ahead option, which only a small subset of Insiders can opt into. Normally, that would have meant 19H2 builds, since 19H1 hasn’t been released yet, but Microsoft has chosen to really skip ahead this time around. That said, Microsoft isn’t adding new features yet.
Snip & Sketch has been updated to version 10.1901.10521.0. This app update is not strictly tied to this Windows 10 build, but you might as well get them together. Snip & Sketch has received a bunch of bug fixes related to blurry images, copying, file names, Narrator, saving, and general stability.
Bug fixes and known issues
This 20H1 build includes the following bug fixes and improvements:
- Fixed an issue where Narrator continuous reading in Edge did not keep the text cursor at the position where reading was started from.
- Fixed an issue where Narrator Scan mode down arrow navigation might get stuck when reading in Chrome.
- In Windows Sandbox, Settings app no longer crashes when you navigate to the Narrator settings.
- Fixed an issue where the time shown on the clock in Windows Sandbox might not match the clock outside of Windows Sandbox.
- Fixed an issue resulting in some devices unexpectedly experiencing a 30 second wait before pin re-entry was available after a pin was incorrectly entered on the lock screen.
- Fixed an issue resulting in Emoji 12 emoji showing up as boxes in certain XAML text fields.
- Adjustments to improve WIN+(period) reliability.
- Fixed an issue that could result in the Start menu not launching if the GPO to turn off the all apps list in Start was enabled.
- Fixed an issue where the default Microsoft Word web tile pinned to Start (in the case where Office wasn’t installed) was unexpectedly launching Microsoft Edge in inPrivate mode.
- Fixed an issue resulting in Microsoft Edge sometimes crashing when editing or tabbing through PDFs.
- A change to improve cloud clipboard (if enabled) sync reliability.
- Fixed an issue that could result in the lock screen unexpectedly not dismissing until Ctrl+Alt+Del was pressed.
- Fixed an issue where if high contrast mode was enabled during Windows setup, that state wouldn’t persist first logon.
This build has nine known issues:
- Launching games that use anti-cheat software may trigger a bugcheck (GSOD).
- If you use third party apps to adjust the color of your screen, we’ve made a fix with this build to address feedback that certain apps were no longer working.
- For display calibration scenarios, monitors may be missing in the built-in Color Management application. As a work around, please use the Settings app to select color profile instead, under the Display Settings page.
- When performing Reset this PC and selecting Keep my files on a device that has Reserved Storage enabled, the user will need to initiate an extra reboot to ensure Reserved Storage is working again properly.
- Some Realtek SD card readers are not functioning properly.
- Mouse pointer color might be incorrectly switched to white after signing out and signing back in.
- Creative X-Fi sound cards are not functioning properly.
- Investigating an issue preventing VMware from being able to install or update Windows Insider Preview builds. Hyper-V is a viable alternative.
- If you install any of the recent builds from the Skip Ahead and switch to either the Fast ring or the Slow ring, optional content such as enabling developer mode will fail. You will have to remain in the Fast ring to add/install/enable optional content. This is because optional content will only install on builds approved for specific rings.
As always, don’t install this on your production machine.