Pos Malaysia confirms attempted malware attack, lodges police report
In a statement posted on social media today, the company said it first detected the malware attack attempt on Oct 20 during a system upgrade for its core system and online services and that it has since been contained.
“Proactive measures were taken by shutting down several system and online services. A police report was lodged and relevant authorities were informed of the attempted attack,” the company added.
The company claimed that no user data was compromised in the attempt as additional measures were taken to protect its systems and database with the assistance of digital security experts.
“We assure our customers that their data and personal information are safe,” Pos Malaysia reiterated, adding that issues concerning several online system and services are being rectified.
A spokesperson told The Star that services will be restored and fully accessible to users again in gradual stages: “Customers and business partners may now gradually access our services. Over the counter services at all branches remain available.”
As for the origins of the attempted malware attack, the spokesperson said the matter is still under investigation but insisted that “we managed to contain it from spreading”.
The Star had earlier reported that the Pos Malaysia website was inaccessible on Oct 21 as the company had said it was experiencing technical issues that affected several systems and online services nationwide.